6/25/2009

Doing The Right Thing

I Don’t Need Heroes
Blogger Bong V.
Filipino Voices

I don’t need heroes (not dead ones anyway), I just need persons who will do the right thing.

I don’t ask for people to die, I ask people to live and reach out.

I don’t ask a taxi driver to give up his life, I ask him to be fair with the taxi meter and observe road courtesy.

I don’t ask the cop to become a vigilante for justice, I ask him to enforce the law fair and square.

I don’t ask the fish vendor to come out to the streets and forego income, all I ask for is an accurate weighing scale and truly fresh fish (not the dynamited ones).

I don’t need a soldier to wage a coup, I ask him to defend the people when his commanders issue unlawful commands that bring harm to unarmed civilians.

I don’t need a jeepney driver to wage transport strikes, I ask him to follow traffic rules, be fair with the fare (pun intended).

I don’t need the tax collector to wage civil disobedience, I ask him to collect what is right and not be tempted by bribes.

I don’t ask firebrand militants to risk even a hair on their head, all I ask for is more civic volunteers who can help empower and inculcate the entrepreneurial spirit in the grassroots.

I don’t ask a lawyer to go to jail for his beliefs, all I ask is for him not to sell out his indigent clients.

I don’t need politicians who promise the sun, moon, and stars, all I ask for is a politician who listens and acts on the consensus of his constituency.

I don’t need teachers dying while they protect the ballot, all I ask is that beyond the three R’s, they teach our future citizens what honesty means, what integrity means, what fairness means, what “the greater good” means. To nurture the souls of the Filipinos of the future so that the Filipino nation may once again stand tall, true, and proud.

I don’t need the electorate to head out in the streets to protest elections, all I ask for is they listen to their conscience and vote for the the candidate who they think will best bring opportunities for prosperity and integrity to us all.

I have no need to be a hero, all I want to do is do the right thing every day in every way.

But, I realize, some people need heroes if only to serve as a symbol of what is right, of what is true, of what is beautiful.

If there comes a time when heroes are truly needed, remember this, the hero lies in YOU, I, and US – when the situation arises – take stock, listen to your conscience, and do the right thing.

Click here to read more.

----------
Every person is called by the Lord to be a hero in his/her own place of calling. And for this reason we are created unique from each other because each of us has a unique task to accomplish.

Doing the right thing no matter how small it may be is accomplishing our calling one task at a time. Accomplishing our calling is doing service to God and people.