1/31/2008

A Harvest Worth The Effort

Author Unknown

Life just isn’t much fun right now. In the last two weeks, there have been some high points, but the lows have been outweighing the highs. I have to remind myself daily that I don’t live by sight, but by faith.

If that’s where you are today, I’m there with you, but more importantly, Jesus is there too. We are in the “process” of life. That may involve a conflict at home, or with someone in leadership in your life. Or you may feel that your talent isn’t being used or appreciated. In my case, the lows are coming from a long-term friendship that is being tested severely.

No matter what the “process” looks like in our lives, it is time to “practice, pray, and persevere.” We put into practice the things we have learned (James 1:22), we pray unceasingly (Philippians 4:6,7), and we persevere and endure until we are perfect and complete (James 1:4).

In spite of my struggles, I am encouraged and challenged as I look into the Word for answers. The highs seem to fall under “exceedingly, abundantly beyond all I could ask or imagine” (Ephesians 3:20). And the lows are covered by “Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial that you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.” (1 Peter 4:12). And, “Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his earthly father?” (Hebrews 12:7)

In other words, the “process” does include His blessings out of His great storehouse of grace and mercy (Ephesians 3). It also includes persecution from the adversary as we move forward in our walk with the Lord (1 Peter 4), and the discipline and correction of our loving heavenly Father (Hebrews 12).

And, His Word also promises us His presence, the Holy Spirit.

“If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make our home with him. All this I have spoken while still with you, but the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth.” (John 14:23, 26, 27, John 16:12)

If the “process” is really difficult for you today, you are not alone. The Holy Spirit is there also—teaching, comforting, and guiding us into all Truth. But the “process” requires discipline: responding to His hand of correction AND His hand of direction.

“No discipline is pleasant at the time, but for those who have been trained by it, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace.” Hebrews 12:7

No matter what we feel, we can discipline our minds to rejoice and focus on true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy things. (Philippians 4:8). We can also count it joy when we encounter these trials (James 1:2). And, I’m ready to take both of those steps right now.

The “process” may be hard, but if we will practice, pray, and persevere in the midst of His glorious presence, the harvest of righteousness and peace WILL be worth the effort. We have His Word on it.