9/23/2007

All About Repentance & Forgiveness

Asking For Forgiveness

Satan was complaining to the Lord. "You're unfair! So many sinners do wrong and you take them back. In fact, some come back half a dozen times and you always welcome them. I make one big mistake and you condemn me forever; it is unfair."

The Lord replied, "Did you ever repented and asked for forgiveness?"

- Christopher Notes


Rehabilitation, Forgiveness

A young man secretly misappropriated several hundred dollars from the business where he was employed. When the shortage was discovered, the senior partner called the young man into his office.

Immediately he knew he would be fired and sent to prison.

His employer asked the worried man if he was guilty. He replied that he was. Then the executive surprised him.

"If I keep you in your present capacity, can I trust you in the future?", he asked.

"Yes, sir, you surely can. I've learned my lesson," replied the astonished employee.

His boss must have detected the repentant man's sincerity. "I'm not going to press charges and you can continue in your present responsibility," he said. Then he added, "I think you ought to know, however, that you are the second man in this firm who succumbed to temptation but was shown leniency. I was the first. What you have done, I did. The mercy you are receiving, I received. It is only the grace of God that can keep us both."

Isn't it true that those who love best are those who know best that they are loved? Those who forgive best are those who are forgiven. Our best efforts only reflect the deep, deep love of God. But how they reflect!

- Steve Goodier in QUOTE


Rise Again

A young preacher was supposed to preach in the prison. Day after day he tried to find some message or formula that would move hard hearts.

As he entered the room, he shuddered under the gaze and stares of the crime-hardened faces. He said a silent prayer for light as he walked up to the pulpit. He stumbled on the second last step and rolled down the steps head over heels right to the floor. The audience broke out into loud laughter.

For a brief minute the young preacher felt himself hindered by pain and shame. The light he prayed for came upon him, and then suddenly he got an inspiring idea amidst the whole embarrassment.

He jumped up, moved up to the pulpit taking the steps two at a time and laughed right back at his captive audience, telling them, "Men, that's exactly why I came here today: I wanted to show you that a man can stand up again after he has fallen flat on his face."

- Willi Hoffsuemmer


False Repentance

Two neighbors had a lifelong quarrel. One of them took seriously sick. His wife called the pastor and explained to him, "Sir, my husband Pat has been fighting with our neighbor Mike for years. Pat's going to die. Can you patch up their quarrel?"

After much persuasion the pastor induced the dying Pat to call in Mike for a reconciliation. In a few minutes Mike was at the bedside. He suggested, "Let's make up, Pat. Let bygones be bygones."

Pat agreed rather reluctantly. Mike prepared to leave. As he approached the door, Pat raised himself on one elbow in bed, and shaking his other fist at Mike he shouted, "Remember, Mike, this counts only in case I die."

- Tonne


-------
[Luke 15:2-32]

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man [Jesus] receiveth sinners, and eateth with them. And he [Jesus] spake this parable unto them, saying, What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

The Parable of the Lost Coin

Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it? And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.

Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

The Parable of the Two Sons: One Prodigal, the Other Unforgiving

And he [Jesus] said, A certain man had two sons: And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living. And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want. And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him. And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing. And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant. And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound. And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him. And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends: But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf. And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.